Common Style Mistakes Men Make Around The Office
1. Creased shirtsLook, we’ve all been there. The alarm goes off. You snooze it. It goes off again. You snooze it. By time you’ve got up in a panic, jumped in the shower, and gulped down half a cup of coffee, you realise that you didn’t iron your shirt.A quick glance at your watch tells you that it’s either an ironed shirt or you turn up late and face the disappointed state of your boss.So, of course, you rock up to work looking like you slept in your clothes.Now, once, that’s not so bad. (Although, we recommend skipping out at lunch to buy a new shirt.)But making a habit of it doesn’t just make you look dishevelled, it looks unprofessional. It screams ‘I don’t take this job seriously.’ Do yourself - and your career - a favour and take 2 minutes to give your shirt a once over.And don’t go kidding yourself with any of that ‘the creases will drop out if I hang it next to the shower’ business either. It never works.Keep an eye on our Facebook page over the next few months, we’ll be showing you how to iron your shirt in under two minutes. That should sort you out, even on those I’ve-snoozed-my-alarm-seven-times kind of mornings.
2. Scuffed ShoesWhat can we say about this one? It’s one of the most common style mistakes men make when they’re just starting to dress well -- probably because your feet rarely show up in the mirror when you give yourself the old you-look-good double-guns.But scuffed shoes weren’t acceptable when you got home to your mum after a kick-about, and they aren’t acceptable in an office either.Pair a really nice suit with a pair of scuffed shoes and you’ll kill the whole outfit.Get yourself a brush, some polish and take a few minutes every week or two to give them a brush, clean and polish.Not only will you look better, but your shoes will last longer too.
3. White socksUnless you’ve got a girl named Billie Jean who you’re pretty adamant isn’t your lover, then don’t even think about doing this.There’s no quicker way to ruin a nice outfit than channelling the King of Pop.
4. Incorrect tie lengthLook, we can’t really blame you for this one. If most powerful man in the world doesn’t know how to tie a tie to the correct length, then we can’t really blame you.But this is one of the most common style mistakes men make. They either go too long and end up with the tie poking out of the bottom of their jacket, or they look like they’re about to start singing ‘Hit Me Baby, One More Time.’The tip of the tie should touch the top of your belt. No shorter, no longer.
5. Pointed or square shoesOK, if you’re a Lego figure or an elf, then ignore this tip. If not, then pointy and square-toed shoes shouldn’t even be in your wardrobe.Dressing like a schoolboy with fresh Clarks shoes isn’t professional, and nor are shoes that look like they could have somebody’s eye out.*Invest in a decent pair of round-toed shoes, keep them scuff-free and you’ll be climbing that corporate ladder in no time.*If you work in Santa’s Grotto, we apologise. We know that pointed shoes are part of your uniform.
6. Short sleeve shirt and a tieThere’s no easier way to go from ‘Have that on my desk by the end of the day’ to ‘the dog ate my homework’ than pairing a short sleeved shirt with a tie. Just don’t do it. It wasn’t a good look for Just William, and it isn’t a good look for you.
7. Brown belt, black shoesThis is one of those subtle things that makes a huge difference. If you’re wearing brown shoes, wear a brown belt. If you’re wearing black shoes, wear a black belt.Mixing and matching leathers looks scruffy, unprofessional and like you’ve got dressed in the dark. Even The Wall Street Journal agrees with us.So there you have it, 7 easy ways to fix common style mistakes men make. Are you guilty of any of these? Or think we missed some out? Let us know in the comments or on social media - we’d love to hear from you.